Scroll down for more publications...
Nils Duquet (ed.), Triggering Terror: Illicit Gun Markets and Firearms Acquisition of Terrorist Networks in Europe, 480 p.
This edited volume offers an in-depth and detailed insight into Project SAFTE’s research findings. In-depth country studies were conducted in eight EU member states by research teams from the Flemish Peace Institute, SIPRI, SSSA, Arquebus Solutions, Small Arms Survey and Bureau Bruinsma. The in-depth qualitative research methodology involved desk research and semi-structured interviews with key international actors and stakeholders such as Europol, EMPACT Firearms, Interpol, SEESAC and the Office of the EU Counter-Terrorism Coordinator. The volume sheds ligh on how illegal firearms markets are structured in the EU and shows how terrorists access these.
- Download country study Belgium
- Download country study Croatia
- Download country study Denmark
- Download country study France
- Download country study Italy
- Download country study Netherlands
- Download country study Romania
- Download country study UK
- Download chapter on EU neighbourhood: North Africa
- Download chapter on EU neighbourhood: Ukraine
Nils Duquet & Kevin Goris, Firearms acquisition by terrorists in Europe. Research findings and policy recommendations of Project SAFTE. 232 p.
This report offers a systematic and comparative analysis of the findings of the eight country studies in the research volume and translates the findings to the realities of policy-makers, law enforcement officers and practitioners working on these topics.
Read the executive summary for a quick overview of the main findings and policy recommendations
Read the fact sheets for an insight into each one of the various dimensions of the project
- The research project SAFTE
- The main supply mechanisms of illegal firearms
- The policy recommendations
Fact sheet about Project SAFTE
- 'Project SAFTE'. Download here
Fact sheets about supply mechanisms
- 'Firearms acquisition by terrorists in Europe' - Download here
- 'Cross-border smuggling of firerarms in the EU' - Download here
- 'The illicit production of firearms in the EU' - Download here
- Acquiring firearms by exploiting legislative loopholes' - Download here
- 'Theft of firearms in the EU' - Download here
Fact sheets about policy recommendations
- 'Improving the intelligence picture to tackle illicit firearms trafficking' - Download here
- 'Optimising operational capacities and cooperation to combat illicit firearms markets' - Download here
- 'Upgrading the regulatory and policy framework on firearms' - Download here
Interested in how various elements of the research come together?
For a quick introduction, watch the videos that shed light on some of our main findings