Project SAFTE uses a qualitative research methodology and a comparative analysis of case studies.
The project consists of three modules:
We will conduct an in-depth analysis of the illicit firearms markets characteristics in eight selected Member States:
- The Netherlands
- The United Kingdom
These country studies consist of:
- Literature review and document analysis
- Collection and analysis of quantitative data
- Expert interviews with key actors
A special focus lies on the potential of terrorist access to these markets.
We will perform a systematic analysis of illicit firearms markets with a view to the EU policy context:
- a comparative analysis of the eight country studies
- an analysis of illicit firearms markets in the EU’s neighbourhood
- an analysis of the EU policy framework, including expert interviews with key EU actors and stakeholders
We will identify best practices and formulate recommendations for the EU, Member States and Third Countries policies.
This will result in a final report in December 2017.