The trade of dual-use items is controlled in order to prevent nuclear, chemical and biological products from falling into the wrong hands. These items were not developed specifically for military purposes but may nevertheless have a military application, for example in weapons of mass destruction.
In terms of dual-use items Flanders manufactures and exports chemicals, nuclear goods and all types of electronics. The regulation regarding trade in dual-use itmes is issued by the European Union. In a federal Belgium the control policy is largely a regional competence. The Flemish Government issues the permits and is in charge of implementing policy. Flemish Parliament monitors the policy and is responsible for democratic control.
The Peace Institute examines legislation and policy in terms of the foreign trade in dual-use items and monitors the production and trade in Flanders in actual facts and figures. In its annual report the institute analyses the dual-use item export figures for the past year. Furthermore, the Institute also devotes special attention to the policy of the European Union and to the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.
- SIPRI Yearbook 2015 - Samenvatting in het Nederlands download (pdf)
- SIPRI Yearbook 2014 - Summary in Dutch download (pdf)
- Revising Export Control Lists download (pdf)
- Transit of strategic goods in Europe download (pdf)
- A European Agenda for Security Technology: From Innovation Policy to Export Controls download (pdf)
- Flemish Foreign Trade in Dual-use Items 2011 download (pdf)
- Flemish foreign trade in dual-use items 2010 download (pdf)
- The legal framework for the control on trade in dual-use items in Flanders download (pdf)
- US tactical nuclear weapons at Kleine Brogel in the context of international developments download (pdf)
- Flemish foreign arms trade and trade in dual-use items 2009 download (pdf)
- The international framework for control of brokering in military and dual-use items download (pdf)
- The Belgian regime for the control of brokering in military and dual-use items download (pdf)
- Flemish foreign arms trade and trade in dual-use items 2008 download (pdf)
- Flemish foreign arms trade and trade in dual-use goods 2007 download (pdf)
- The Flemish Arms Export Policy: an analysis of the legal framework download (pdf)